Join our zoo community
birdsandbats

American Mink exhibit

Taken August 4 2019

American Mink exhibit
birdsandbats, 27 Aug 2021
    • snowleopard
      This cage had an opossum in it when I visited the zoo in 2018, but keeping anything in this enclosure is cruel.
    • MonkeyBat
      This is the type of cages they keep poultry during showcasing at county fairs here in Iowa. Definitely not meant as a permanent living space for a creature like this!
    • Arizona Docent
      What purpose do the owners think they are serving? Based on the few photos I have seen posted today, this place needs to be shut down!
      carlos55 and nczoofan like this.
    • birdsandbats
      @Arizona Docent I actually like the place (see my mini-review from a few years ago Shalom Wildlife Zoo Full Species List and Mini-Review [Shalom Wildlife Zoo]). Most of the enclosures here are multi-acre yards that are so big it just isn't possible to photograph them (hence why I have no photos). A few of the smaller species get terrible enclosures, but overall the majority of the enclosures here are very nice, quite worth the visit I think. You might be interested to know that it includes one of the best Tiger exhibit I've ever seen and the best Cougar exhibit I've ever seen.
    • Arizona Docent
    • birdsandbats
      @Arizona Docent ASDM’s is great from a visitor and naturalistic point of view but it’s a bit on the small side (I have seen it in person). It’s certainly among the best but I do like Shalom’s more. Much larger, with a nice pool and lots of hiding places, yet with a cat that stays visible. So I would say ASDM’s is probably the best from a visitor’s point of view but Shalom’s is better for the cat.

Of course, DeYoung had what was indisputably the world’s best Cougar exhibit a few years ago before it was given over to Domestic Turkeys.
    • snowleopard
      Shalom did indeed have a nice cougar exhibit (built in 2017):

[​IMG]

But the zoo also had this for Arctic foxes in 2018:

[​IMG]

Best cougar exhibit I've ever seen is probably White Oak. There is one cougar (technically a Florida panther) in each of these photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
      PAT likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Shalom Wildlife Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    birdsandbats
    Date:
    27 Aug 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    4.5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3888px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX B700
    Date / Time:
    2019:08:04 10:29:43
    Exposure Time:
    10/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).