Join our zoo community
BeardsleyZooFan

American Trail- Gray Wolf Exhibit

April 19, 2013: Although not out on my visit, 2 female Gray Wolves live here.

American Trail- Gray Wolf Exhibit
BeardsleyZooFan, 25 Apr 2013
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      April 19, 2013: Although not out on my visit, 2 female Gray Wolves live here.
    • snowleopard
      This exhibit is quite an open one for wolves, as usually they are to be found in dense, lush habitats in many American zoos. I actually like the sloping terrain, but how many trees are there in the enclosure?
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      According to the zoo's website, the exhibit was actually planted lushly, but after winter, new plants might still be growing. This is the zoo's description of the exhibit:
      "Dispersed among boulders, the landscaping for the Zoo’s two gray wolves, recreates a forest setting typical of North America. Native plants provide the two female wolves with enrichment, which encourages natural behaviors. The National Zoo’s park management team, in addition to planting new trees, grasses, and shrubs, also incorporated plants from the original exhibit. A large sycamore tree from the original exhibit, that could not be left standing, has been chopped into pieces and strategically placed throughout the exhibit. The staggered and stacked planks offer the wolves structures that they can climb on and survey their exhibit from, play on, and scent mark, just as they would in the wild. The rear of the exhibit is filled with dense vegetation for the wolves for them to retreat into. The front of their exhibit is more open, to allow for easy visitor viewing."
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Smithsonian National Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    BeardsleyZooFan
    Date:
    25 Apr 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    494.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.9
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    SP810UZ,SP815UZ
    Date / Time:
    2013:04:18 23:57:47
    Exposure Time:
    1/125 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 64
    Focal Length:
    4.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).