Join our zoo community
Toddy

Amersfoort Zoo - Chimpanzee exhibit

The outdoor exhibit for chimpanzees in Amersfoort Zoo, the Netherlands. Not a very pretty sight... July 2008

Amersfoort Zoo - Chimpanzee exhibit
Toddy, 30 Nov 2008
Newt likes this.
    • Toddy
      The outdoor exhibit for chimpanzees in Amersfoort Zoo, the Netherlands. Not a very pretty sight...
      July 2008
    • snowleopard
      Definitely not a pretty sight, but it does invoke thoughts of Howletts.
    • Toddy
      They have given the chimps lots of toys and stuff, but the exhibit is not very naturalistic at all
    • James27
      How many chimps are in here? Looks like a good cage, as in it could keep the chimps satisfied, but it just seems a bit small. The roof could be a bit higher too.
    • Kumifriend
      I am very interested in learning more about the chimpanzee in this link

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajhaverkamp/3535752341/"]2009-05-16-15h32m02.IMG_9443l on Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

His name is Kumi and I want to find out if he was born in London Zoo, moved to Whipsnade in England, was sent to Rostov Zoo, and now perhaps has landed here.

If you can look into this I would appreciate it. Many of us got to know him well as he was hand raised with his thuggish half-brother Joma.
    • Kumifriend
      Where is kumi? Where is joma?

PLEASE SOMEONE ASK AMERSFOORT ZOO IF THEIR KUMI IS THE ONE I AM LOOKING FOR!! Desperately seeking Kumi...

• Kumifriend
      My avatar is the picture of the chimp named Kumi in Amersfoort Dierenpark, Holland.
    • Baldur
      The enclosure is for the chimps, not for us. As long as the chimps are stimulated, active, breeding and healthy, naturalistic or not is not important.

As to the mention of Howletts above, yes indeed, not very naturalistic facilities, but the gorillas bred and still breed there like rats, so Aspinall was doing something right. If our purpose with zoos is to support wild populations through ex-situ breeding, that is what we want, right?
    • James27
      I couldn't agree more Baldur. Some people think that because it doesn't look like the Congo, then it's not acceptable because we won't have as much respect for the animals or their natural habitat, which in some ways is true as it's ultimately the habitat that needs protecting, but I think this type of thing is much better than any number of hotwired trees ;)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    DierenPark Amersfoort
    Uploaded By:
    Toddy
    Date:
    30 Nov 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    511.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1154px
    Height:
    865px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    E-510
    Date / Time:
    2008:07:16 10:18:01
    Exposure Time:
    1/80 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    14 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).