Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Amur Tiger Exhibit - Minnesota Zoo

July 1st, 2008. The smaller of two massive exhibits, the largest of their kind in North America.

Amur Tiger Exhibit - Minnesota Zoo
snowleopard, 9 Jul 2008
    • snowleopard
      July 1st, 2008. The smaller of two massive exhibits, the largest of their kind in North America.
    • snowleopard
      This tiger complex, the largest of its kind in any North American zoo, makes it difficult to spot the big cats.
    • mstickmanp
      I'm not sure, but I think this was one of the exhibits in Animal Planet's "Ultimate Zoo".
    • BlackRhino
      I love this tiger habitat, but I think I like Bronx's Tiger Mountain better because you get a massive three-acre exhibit for the tigers along with a underwater viewing pool and huge glass window for visitors along with the daily training sessions the public can see. At Minnesota you just get the huge massive exhibit with none of the spectacular viewing opportunities.
    • reduakari
      In recent years a new viewing area (glass fronted) has greatly improved this exhibit. Still no underwater viewing like Tiger Mountain,but very good nevertheless
    • dragon(ele)nerd
      Looks great for the tigers, but like mentioned before probably would be hard for the visitors to view,

it's like that for some zoos... e.g. a lot of singapore's exhibits are made so that resting areas are where the visitors can view.
    • reduakari
      Actually, the new glass-fronted viewing area (to the left of the exhibit) includes a heated rock right at the glass, an artificial "moose carcass" feeder, and is located close to the gates into holding, so the cats spend a fair amount of time there, very visible. The zoo's other (bigger) tiger enclosure, a deeply forested valley, is a more challenging place to actually see a tiger.
    • dragon(ele)nerd
      Sounds awesome, cool... :)
    • snowleopard
      Many of the Minnesota Zoo's outdoor exhibits make it tough to spot animals. The brand new Russia's Grizzly Coast set of habitats is extremely naturalistic, and the trio of leopard enclosures are well designed to hide the big cats. In other parts of the zoo there are multi-acre tiger, Przewalski horse, bison and serow paddocks that are enormous in comparison to many other zoos. The bactrian camel enclosure, which becomes an African Savanna in the summer, is 5 acres in size, and the zoo's muskox paddock must be even larger!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Minnesota Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    9 Jul 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    547.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2008:07:01 14:02:19
    Exposure Time:
    10/2500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).