Join our zoo community
gentle lemur

An uncomfortable situation

West Caucasian tur & Barbary sheep enclosure, Paignton, 13th February 2019

An uncomfortable situation
    • gentle lemur
      As the photo shows, this West Caucasian tur nanny has overgrown front hooves and was clearly climbing quite gingerly on the rock face at the back of the enclosure. She was clearly in an uncomfortable situation.
      My uncomfortable situation can be summarised in a number of questions. Should I take a photo? Should I publish it? Should I do anything else about it?
      As you can see, my answer was 'Yes' to the first two questions. As I left the zoo yesterday I had a word with the lady on the Information desk; very politely, I said 'I'm not trying to be critical and I'm sure the keepers know about this already and are sorting the problem out, but . . . . "
      Did I do the right thing? Has the problem been solved already? If not will it be sorted soon? I will be interested in any answers.
    • Gigit
      I recall keepers being advised to take heed of regular visitors who might notice subtle changes ....

I'll look out for her next week sometime.
    • Gigit
      I saw her today, down on terra firma, and her hooves are the same. When she walked it looked like she was wearing flippers :eek:
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Paignton Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    gentle lemur
    Date:
    14 Feb 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    632.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1414px
    Height:
    1000px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D500
    Date / Time:
    2019:02:13 11:37:49
    Exposure Time:
    1/60 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    300 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).