Join our zoo community
Dormitator

Andean cock-of-the-rock

Rupicola peruvianus peruvianus

Andean cock-of-the-rock
    • Vision
      Nice picture! As other people have mentioned (like in Male Andean Cock-of-the-rock (Rupicola peruviana) at faunia 07/2015 | ZooChat ) this male looks more like a Rupicola peruvianus sanguinolentus, based on yellow/red eye color compared to peruvianus' blue eyes, and the very red body feathers compared to peruvianus' more orange feathers.

Does anyone know where these animals come from? ZTL has no information, except on the date at which they arrived (2015). Almost all Andean cocks-of-the-rock in European zoos are from Dallas World Aquarium's peruvianus stock, however I assume there are probably some individuals of other subspecies around as well.

Do they only have this one male?
    • Dormitator
      Thanks!

The colours may be a bit off depending on my white balance settings, but from memory it was more on the red side of orange. But eye colour isn't going to vary by that much!

There was just the pair in the enclosure, could be another male off show but as far as I'm aware there are just the two of them. I'll pop a picture of the female up next week if I remember.
      Vision likes this.
    • Vision
      Yeah those eyes are very distinctive... On the other picture the eyes weren't 100% clear and thus could also potentially have been aequatorialis, but I think on this picture there's a bit too much red for anything other than sanguinolentus to be possible. Thanks for providing this excellent shot!

After bit more digging in this gallery I've found a picture of the female here, but thanks anyways!
    • Dormitator
      Awesome, looks like things are sorted. My most significant contribution to Zoochat :D
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Faunia Madrid
    Uploaded By:
    Dormitator
    Date:
    12 Dec 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    4.6 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4752px
    Height:
    3168px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 50D
    Date / Time:
    2017:11:11 14:10:18
    Exposure Time:
    1/160 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    193 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).