Join our zoo community
okapikpr

Ankus Signage

May 2006

Ankus Signage
okapikpr, 19 Mar 2009
    • snowleopard
      I'm actually quite amazed that a zoo has signage on the ankus, a rather infamous tool used in training and guiding elephants. I use the word infamous simply because the ankus has often been taken out of context by animal rights groups, but I'm sure that eventually zoos will take out the sharp point on the end and utilize a long, plain pole (without a point) to control elephants.
    • okapikpr
      Have you ever seen an ankus up close?
    • James27
      Aren't they quite blunt? I would assume it's just like poking the elephant, meaning it doesn't hurt it but provokes it to move?
      Are you against them Okapikpr? :p
    • snowleopard
      I've held one before.
    • okapikpr
      Just like snake hooks, ankus are built for the handlers specifications. I have personally never seen a sharp ankus, but I would not question the existence of them. I believe that free contact is an acceptable practice to manage elephants. However, not every elephant or every elephant handler is meant for free contact.

Often times there are various animal management techniques and tools that can be taken out of context (ie ankus, enrichment, restraint). It is rather smart for any zoo to elaborate about such things and send a clear message to allow further understanding of the public about these practices.
    • dragon(ele)nerd
      Yeah, the ankus's that I've seen we're quite blunt, probably used to encourage the elephant's or tap the pressure points, no shapr pain is involved I would assume,
    • James27
      I hate how everyone assumes that they're these horrible sharp sticks used to beat elephants into submission when they do something wrong.
    • okapikpr
      This is mainly because bullhooks are only in the public's attention when used improperly by those that probably shouldnt be handling elephants to begin with. Unfortunately, its always the few bad eggs that ruin the whole clutch.
    • James27
      Yeah, exactly.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Central Florida Zoo and Botanical Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    okapikpr
    Date:
    19 Mar 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    234.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    600px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    PENTAX Corporation
    Model:
    PENTAX Optio 60
    Date / Time:
    2005:07:10 00:32:14
    Exposure Time:
    4199/1000000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 64
    Focal Length:
    9 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).