Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

anoa at Nantu Reserve, northern Sulawesi

presumably the lowland anoa (Anoa depressicornis). Awful photo I know but at least its identifiable

anoa at Nantu Reserve, northern Sulawesi
Chlidonias, 26 Jul 2009
CMP likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      presumably the lowland anoa (Anoa depressicornis). Awful photo I know but at least its identifiable
    • Kifaru Bwana
      Hi Chlidonias,

Permit me to be a little bit jealous. Ab fab those photos of babirusa and anoa in the wild. Are we talking Dumoga Bone or is Nantu the other other reserve (led by community conservation).

I will really try hard next year to go over myself and perhaps bring back some more brilliant photographic material.

Cheers,

K.B.
    • Hix
      It's not bad for a 1/10 sec exposure.

Is it just me or does it look pregnant?
    • Chlidonias
      Dumoga Bone (now called Bogani Nani Wartabone, which is so much harder to remember and say!) is the national park about an hour from Kotamabagu which is a few hours from Manado. If you see babirusa or anoa there you should consider buying a lottery ticket! As you know they are incredibly rare there (and most places through hunting).

Nantu is a reserve (as I understand it, not a national park) several hours north (?) from Gorontalo which is maybe halfway along the northern peninsula; Gorontalo itself is about nine hours west from Kotamabagu.

I don't think the existance of Nantu has much to do with local conservation measures (local in terms of the villages in the immediate vicinity), but rather due to the continual presence of heavily-armed police troops! At Dumoga-Bone the forest is threatened largely by the locals themselves who are engaged in illegal logging, gold-mining and poaching.
    • Zooish
      Its far from awful :)

Seeing one in the wild is hard enough let alone photographing one out in the open.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Indonesia - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    26 Jul 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    279.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1064px
    Make:
    PENTAX Corporation
    Model:
    PENTAX *ist DL
    Date / Time:
    2009:07:18 19:11:15
    Exposure Time:
    1/10 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    0 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).