Join our zoo community
Wild wolverine

Apes of Africa- Renovated Outdoor Gorilla Exhibit

The renovated outdoor exhibit opened in late May 2015. This is the view from inside the building.

Apes of Africa- Renovated Outdoor Gorilla Exhibit
Wild wolverine, 24 Jun 2015
    • Wild wolverine
      The renovated outdoor exhibit opened in late May 2015. This is the view from inside the building.
    • snowleopard
      A hugely disappointing addition to the zoo, although this facility has very few excellent exhibits and therefore I shouldn't have been surprised to see a wooden jungle gym erected for the gorillas. The entire primate complex at the zoo is filled with enclosures that range from average to mediocre.
    • zoomaniac
      Absolutely agree. Although: In opposite to the iron cage labyrinth/maze (aka Bonobo exhibit) it is still a step forward (whicht doesn't mean it is good at all...)
    • Wild wolverine
      It is better than the old outdoor exhibit, I'll give it that. It looks better in person, plus this picture does not show the new hills and dips (the old exhibit was flat) and they added a small pond (which wasn't filled during my visit)
      It does give the gorillas more to climb and more shade, I wish wish the structures were more natural and the animals could climb higher, with maybe more plants and trees rather than a larger playground.
    • Milwaukee Man
      I saw this exhibit (along with adorable gorilla baby Sulaiman) for the first time last week. The only truly good thing I got out of it was that the climbing structure allows for the apes to more active (don't get me wrong - I think it's kind of ugly). Most of the time, the gorillas would just be laying around or sitting outside. Now, I've actually seen the silverback male climb on the structure for a while.

Other than that, most of the developments were very minor "at least they now have" kind of improvements, such as the small pool and small hills. Pretty disappointing...:(
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Milwaukee County Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Wild wolverine
    Date:
    24 Jun 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    354.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/6.5
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S8600 S8650 S8630
    Date / Time:
    2015:01:15 13:36:46
    Exposure Time:
    10/450 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.5 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).