Join our zoo community
Moebelle

Apr. 2019 - 1930's American White Pelican Pool (Former Sea Lion Exhibit)

Apr. 2019 - 1930's American White Pelican Pool (Former Sea Lion Exhibit)
Moebelle, 1 May 2019
snowleopard and Jambo like this.
    • snowleopard
      It's a little surprising that Memphis Zoo hasn't built anything elaborate with this WPA construction job from the 1930s. Other than the addition of the shade structure, there has been little to no change with this enclosure for almost 90 years! With some efficient fundraising, perhaps a modern sea lion habitat could be built using parts of the back wall, or else the pool could be filled in and the enormous space could be utilized for a non-aquatic species. Pelicans aren't exactly enticing enough to keep visitors flocking to the zoo.
      Yi Qi and StoppableSan like this.
    • StoppableSan
      @snowleopard They actually moved their sea lions to a modern facility in the Northwest Passage, as part of the themed complex with polar bears, black bears, common ravens and bald eagles. I could somewhat see this as a splash park (given its location near the children's zoo) or a new penguin facility themed as a fortress near Boulders Beach (maybe leopard or pyjama sharks in the mix alongside other species?). Either way, the masonry in terms of the WPA architecture is impressive, and should be restored as much as humanly possible.
    • snowleopard
      @Wyman Of course, I forgot that there are California Sea Lions in the Northwest Passage exhibit area. I remember seeing them in 2008, just two years after Northwest Passage opened to the public. I agree that the WPA architecture should be preserved, but a pelican pool is probably not the best way to go about maintaining the historical integrity of the zoo. It will be intriguing to see what Memphis Zoo does with this zone in the future.
      StoppableSan likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Memphis Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Moebelle
    Date:
    1 May 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    9.1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4896px
    Height:
    3672px
    Aperture:
    f/3.0
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DC-FZ80
    Date / Time:
    2019:04:28 11:50:52
    Exposure Time:
    10/8000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    4.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).