Join our zoo community
animalszoos

Arabian leopard exhibit

Arabian leopard exhibit
    • DelacoursLangur
      Still dreaming that one day Arabian Leopards could be reintroduced to the Negev in Israel. They haven't been sighted in more than ten years now. The recent normalization and peace agreement has given me hope. The biggest hurdle I suspect is the vast amount of space they need, surely with friendly relations with Egypt however wildlife crossings could be established in the security fence to allow migration between the Sinai and Negev.
    • DelacoursLangur
      Same goes for Asiatic Lions (although they are not such a recent extinction), and even perhaps Asiatic Cheetahs, although the chances of being able to get a founding population out of Iran like Israel did with Persian Fowl Deer is laughable with current relations. Same goes for Syrian Brown Bears in the north, although it is much more densely populated so it would almost certainly have to be more of a managed wildlife park situation. I need to stop dreaming its never going to happen...
    • Arizona Docent
      The other problem with Asiatic cheetahs is there is not even a big enough population in their current country of Iran. As a cat lover I would desperately love to see their population increase, but realistically speaking I have little hope for the subspecies' long-term survival.
      animalszoos likes this.
    • Arizona Docent
      @animalszoos Are there any restrictions on taking photos at Al Ain?
    • animalszoos
      @Arizona Docent you cannot take photos/videos for commercial purposes (the only mention of photos on their website). Other than this, as far as I am aware, there aren't restrictions. Al Ain zoo also hosts a photograph competition, which would only encourage photography.
    • Arizona Docent
      @animalszoos Ok thanks. That is a fairly standard disclaimer at zoos in the USA as well (not for commercial purposes).
    • animalszoos
      @Arizona Docent indeed - Al Ain zoo is definitely worth a visit, hosting several rarities, Arabian species and fewer 'ABCs' than Dubai Safari Park for example.
    • DelacoursLangur
      @Arizona Docent Definitely, although from what I understand the population is so dire bringing them into captivity is probably the best option at this point. I know that India sought to get them from Iran for its ongoing reintroduction effort, and was unsuccessful.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Al Ain Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    animalszoos
    Date:
    10 Jan 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    5.7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).