Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Arctic Ring of Life - Detroit Zoo

July 2008.

Arctic Ring of Life - Detroit Zoo
snowleopard, 12 Jul 2008
    • mstickmanp
      wow, just like the wild, except that the seal would be dead by now.
    • snowleopard
      How about this for polar bear enrichment? Blind harbour seals who don't realize that only a pane of glass separates them from disaster.
    • Hix
      That's ....... innovative!
    • snowleopard
      @Hix: there are at least 45 photos of the Arctic Ring of Life in the Detroit Zoo gallery, and I'm just attempting to rejuvenate interest in what is often hailed as one of the world's great zoo exhibits. I was at the zoo last summer and really cherish this wonderful Arctic habitat.
    • blospz
      Oh thank goodness there's a pane of glass in between. I was worried for the seal!
    • RhinoIguana154
      Wait... THEY SHARE EXHIBITS???
    • FunkyGibbon
      That's very convenient that they're blind. Where were they sourced from?
      Copenhagen's Arctic Ring has a similar set-up, also with Harbour Seals (iirc), which presumably are fully sighted. They didn't show any distress or seem to stay away from the separating glass. In fact I can't recall any instance of seeing a zoo prey species being disturbed by proximity to a predator. No doubt others can though.

The Artic Ring was one of the best zoo experiences I've had, but you couldn't have got this a photo like this from it. I think it's significantly smaller as well. Are there any chatters who have seen both first hand?
    • Chlidonias
      there are only like five posts under this photo. That's not too many to read.
      Grant and snowleopard like this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Detroit Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    12 Jul 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    112.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.8
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2008:07:06 09:54:30
    Exposure Time:
    10/3200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    27.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).