Join our zoo community
cypher

Arctic Wolves

These 3 came to see what all the commotion was while the Keeper fed the Polar Bears in the field yard. Humphrey was already fed in the pool yard.

Arctic Wolves
cypher, 19 Oct 2014
pendraig_milnerae likes this.
    • cypher
      These 3 came to see what all the commotion was while the Keeper fed the Polar Bears in the field yard. Humphrey was already fed in the pool yard.
    • TZFan
      It's a nice shot of Thor, Odin and Loki. Looks like you accidentally stumbled upon them in the wild.
    • cypher
      Wait, are those their actual names? I know it's from Norse mythology and all, but as a comic book fan, I find those choices in names awesome.
    • TZFan
      Ya I learned their name from a friend a little while ago. They are all males from the 2000 or 2001 (I dont remember) litter.
    • cypher
      I wonder when they'll be moving the young pack from the Domain up to the Tundra Trek. I'm guessing if another old timer passes, they'll make the switch.
    • TZFan
      Hard to say. They are so old moving them might be very hard on them. They have been left sort of wild so they would probably have to be knocked out to move them. I dont know if they would try crate training for animals that rarely even go in their barn. And if you knock out an animal that old you run a higher risk of death so why do it if you dont have to? They used to get knocked out to be examined every so many years but I dont know if they still do it that way. Again they are left sort of wild so they may not be trained to participate in their health routines.

At 14, nearly 15, it probably wont be much longer. In the wild they would have 7-10 years. In captivity 17-20 is about max. The odds of all three hitting 20 would be extreme. Even if we have to wait for total attrition of the old pack it probably wont be more then a few years. However the fact that they have a young pack already would suggest they dont expect the old timers to live a ton longer. Why on earth would they have got them 5 years before needed?

We will have to wait and see what happens.
    • cypher
      What's the age of the younger pack in the Domain.

I assume getting the younger pack so early on, while still having a pack in the Tundra Trek, was so the zoo didn't have an empty exhibit down where people usually complain about walking to.
    • TZFan
      I dont know their age for certain. Something tells me some said they were about a year old when they arrived but I could be wrong. Although a year or two at arrival would make sense. I also dont know were they are from. All I know is their names are Chinook, Dora and Vera.
    • cypher
      Maybe I'll try asking some Keepers about what the future holds for them.
    • Megakillerwhale
      Wow gorgeous picture of the boys :)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cypher
    Date:
    19 Oct 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    298.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1067px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7100
    Date / Time:
    2014:10:18 12:05:02
    Exposure Time:
    1/800 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    100 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).