Join our zoo community
Giant Eland

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum 2010

American hog-nosed skunk (Conepatus leuconotus)

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum 2010
Giant Eland, 13 Nov 2012
    • Giant Eland
      American hog-nosed skunk (Conepatus leuconotus)
    • Arizona Docent
      Were you just here in my city of Tucson?

Anyway, you were REALLY lucky to see the skunk out on exhibit. They are nocturnal and are always sleeping in their underground burrow (visible through glass below this main exhibit). I have only seen the skunk out like this once, when a keeper put treats while I was there.
    • Giant Eland
      Haha no it was actually at the end of 2010. And I didn't leave it just to luck. Knowing my chances of seeing the skunk out were slim, I made sure I spoke to the keeper and found out what time they were going to put food out. After all the 2 skunk species were the reason I came.

It was a nice little trip. I knocked some other species off my list at Wildlife World Zoo the day before, and flew to Omaha to visit that zoo for the 2nd time. Not sure I knew of you back then, but I would've loved company, since I did the whole trip alone.
    • Arizona Docent
      OOPS. I guess if I would have read the title, with a gigantic "2010" in it, I would have known better.
    • Chlidonias
      that is a cool skunk. It looks like its just come out of a clothes dryer!! Do they always look so "poofy"?
    • ThylacineAlive
      Unfortunately it seems these are long gone now. Replaced by a Striped Skunk.

~Thylo
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
    Uploaded By:
    Giant Eland
    Date:
    13 Nov 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: