Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum - Coyote Exhibit

August 2008. Amazing, startling habitat for coyotes that incorporates the patented invisinet.

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum - Coyote Exhibit
snowleopard, 2 Sep 2008
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • snowleopard
      August 2008. Amazing, startling habitat for coyotes that incorporates the patented invisinet.
    • snowleopard
      The invisinet used to contain the two coyotes in this photo is almost literally invisible, and it is eerie to find oneself strolling through the dusty pathway that curves around the enclosure because there is the sensation that the coyotes are actually roaming free. Immersion exhibitry at its finest.:)
    • Otter Lord
      hmm... how come more zoos don't use this invisinet fence? Is it really strong and safe?
    • snowleopard
      I think that harp wire (piano wire) has become very popular in many zoos, but I'm not sure why the invisinet hasn't caught on at more collections. Perhaps it is not strong enough to withstand larger mammals running against it.
    • Otter Lord
      That's what I was thinking with larger mammals, there's a diagram on zoolex on invisinet for the javelina exhibit and it looks likes it can be pretty strong judging by the fake trees it is bolted to. Maybe it could be used to make a netting for big cat exhibits. I'm of some of those eastern Jaguar exhibits with the obvious netting and mayan ruins.
    • reduakari
      Binder Park, Bronx and Disney all use it for colobus monkey exhibits. Minnesota uses it for lemurs, coyotes and wolves. Omaha uses it in several places in Desert Dome. It really works best if there are lots of shrubs or twigs both in front of and behind the mesh (which is why it is less effective in Omaha, where it usually is just "plugging a hole" in concrete rocks).

It's much less visually obtrusive than harp wire.
    • snowleopard
      @reduakari: is cost a factor when exhibit designers are in the process of choosing whether or not to go with viewing areas covered by glass, mesh, harp wire or invisinet? Is the amazing invisinet an expensive option? One would think that it would be ideal for all types of smaller primates, and even many mid-sized carnivores such as coyotes.
    • Blackduiker
      That's an incredible looking habitat.
    • The Vegan
      Does anyone know of Invisinet's affect on birds? Is it a collision hazard?
    • Arizona Docent
      The invisinet they originally had on the nearby javelina exhibit is no longer there. It has been replaced by a thicker black netting. Not sure if it wore out or if the javelinas destroyed it somehow, but I suspect the latter because the coyote exhibit opened at the same time and it is holding up fine. Invisinet is very thin and would definitely not work for larger animals like jaguars.

Not sure of cost. I know this facility created it and when they first started manufacturing it, it was actually produced by prisoners at one of the state's prisons. I do not think that is the case any longer, but not sure.

As for whether or not it is a hazard to birds, I have honestly never thought of that and I have no idea. I have never seen any birds flying into it and have never heard of any issues.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    2 Sep 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    321.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.9
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2008:08:11 10:44:40
    Exposure Time:
    10/5000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 320
    Focal Length:
    47 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).