Join our zoo community
Toddy

Artis - Primate House

A view of the interior of the Primate House in Artis Amsterdam. An historical building with, unfortunately, too many small exhibits. They are not all bad though. During my last visit in July 2008 the species in here were orang-utan, mandrill, Sulawesi crested macaque, black spider monkey, squirrel monkey, meerkat and big hairy armadillo. July 2008

Artis - Primate House
Toddy, 29 Mar 2009
felis silvestris likes this.
    • Toddy
      A view of the interior of the Primate House in Artis Amsterdam. An historical building with, unfortunately, too many small exhibits. They are not all bad though.
      During my last visit in July 2008 the species in here were orang-utan, mandrill, Sulawesi crested macaque, black spider monkey, squirrel monkey, meerkat and big hairy armadillo.
      July 2008
    • Jakub
      During my visit in 1992 I saw there spectacled langurs and two species of guenons ( I suppose, De Brazza's and White-throated guenons), for zoo-history enthusiasts is this house absolut top, but not for the monkey, I have to agree with Toddy that inside and outside enclosures are too small,especially for orangs, it would be better put the orangs away and replace them with any smaller species. Between 19th and 20th century, all primate's houses in big zoos were looking similar to that one..
    • lintworm
      the orang utans will leave the zoo in september/october. 2 will go to Madrid and 1 to Vienna.
    • Toddy
      That is good to hear. What will the exhibit then be used for?
    • Gigit
      A lot of Dutch orangs are on the move, then. Elsewhere on Zoochat I've been told that those at Burgers Zoo are moving too (soon, I hope).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Artis Royal Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Toddy
    Date:
    29 Mar 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    271.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1319px
    Height:
    989px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    E-510
    Date / Time:
    2008:07:18 09:15:49
    Exposure Time:
    1/25 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    14 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).