Join our zoo community
Astrotom3000

Asia - Complex Carnivores - Patagonian Mara

6/1/2022

Asia - Complex Carnivores - Patagonian Mara
    • StoppableSan
      Ahh yes - the patagonian mara, a very complex carnivore. :D:p
    • Astrotom3000
      I was thinking the same thing when I came across this exhibit; this is the first exhibit you see when you pass the Complex Carnivores sign from the upper entrance (when coming from the Giant Pandas).

There must have been something in here before. I previously saw mentions of Raccoon Dogs, which I never saw anywhere in the zoo, so I am wondering if this exhibit was previously home to them (they would fit both the Asia and Carnivore theme, as the this complex otherwise features entirely Asian carnivores).
      StoppableSan likes this.
    • Davdhole
      @Astrotom3000
      I know this is a very late reply so you might've found out since, but bush dogs used to occupy the current mara habitat. The raccoon dogs lived in an exhibit viewed from a ramp across the rhinoceros hornbill habitat, and from above, next to the red panda.
    • Astrotom3000
      @Davdhole That makes sense, though that would have made them the sole non-Asian residents.

As for the actual former raccoon dog habitat, I think I know what exhibit you're talking about; it was empty on my visit with a sign saying the inhabitant wasn't out due to chilly weather or something to that effect, despite the fact that this was days after Memorial Day, it was 90F out, and all reptiles that have outdoor habitats were outdoors that day.

The exhibit had no species signed for it, so I assume the zoo currently has no residents for that exhibit and they simply did not change out the signage.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Atlanta
    Uploaded By:
    Astrotom3000
    Date:
    4 Jun 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    11.4 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    6016px
    Height:
    4000px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D3200
    Date / Time:
    2022:06:01 12:32:08
    Exposure Time:
    10/1250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    165 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).