Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Asian Elephant Exhibit

August 11th, 2019

Asian Elephant Exhibit
snowleopard, 2 Oct 2019
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • snowleopard
      Does anyone know anything about the elephant situation here? Are these 'rescued animals' or ex-circus animals? When I visited in August I was appalled to see this exhibit, but is there more to it than meets the eye? As things stand right now, my photo shows the entire space available to the two Asian Elephants.
    • Elephantelephant
      @snowleopard
      I don't know if they have more space, but I hope so. They are elephant cows from the circus. But are there only two? As far as I know they should be three- Baby, Mala and Yumba.
      snowleopard likes this.
    • snowleopard
      @Elephantelephant That's interesting...thanks. I only saw the two in this photo during my visit and there certainly isn't much space for a third elephant to hide. :)
    • DelacoursLangur
      @snowleopard Wow somehow this place completely slipped me bye. This has to be the worst elephant exhibit in Germany... Judging by the google earth measurements its only .1 acres and this is it. The satellite shows 3 elephants, although it may be outdated.

This website has some interesting background on the facilities history with elephants: Tierpark Ströhen Wagenfeld. It seems they got all three only in 2018, honestly cant believe a german zoo is allowed to acquire new elephants in these conditions. Also mentions a former elephant died in a "electric fence accident", honestly horrifying to imagine what that entailed..
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Tierpark Ströhen
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    2 Oct 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    4.3 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3888px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS
    Date / Time:
    2019:08:11 07:24:16
    Exposure Time:
    1/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 160
    Focal Length:
    7.515 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).