Join our zoo community
KevinB

Asian elephant yard

Home of the breeding herd that unfortunately recently saw three tragic deaths.

Asian elephant yard
KevinB, 13 Sep 2018
    • nczoofan
      Looks like a great exhibit. Its nice to see an exhibit with a lot of furniture and elevation changes.
      Jambo and KevinB like this.
    • StoppableSan
      Tragic deaths? What's the whole story with Antwerp's former herd? I know they had several calves here.
    • squirrelmonkey
      In the small space of a month, three of the Asian Elephants died. First Qiyo, then Phyo Phyo, and finally Tarzen. Phyo Phyo was the mother of both Oiyo and Tarzen and died of Kidney failure. Qiyo died the week before from EEHV aged two. After his mother's passing, Tarzen passed away at only 11 weeks old.
    • Jambo
      Very sad. :(:( :(
    • KevinB
      Very sad indeed. Planckendael went through some really rough times in late spring and early summer this year. First there were the three tragic elephant deaths, then on June 21st young Asiatic lioness Rani escaped due to keeper error. The police intervention squad who came to the scene decided to shoot and kill her after attempts to sedate her had failed, because she was coming too close to a place where people were hiding. After that event Planckendael and its staff were showered with a crap storm of criticism and vile attacks (a choir to which, to my continued dismay and regret, I sadly also added) and animal rights activists protested the park several times, accusing the park and its staff to be murderers, animal abusers, a prison - you know, the usual animal rights rhetoric. Luckily things have calmed down since and there hasn't been more very news. Visitor numbers don't seem to really be suffering either from what I've seen.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Planckendael
    Uploaded By:
    KevinB
    Date:
    13 Sep 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.2 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    1080px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    OLYMPUS CORPORATION
    Model:
    E-M10 Mark III
    Date / Time:
    2018:09:09 11:26:20
    Exposure Time:
    1/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    14 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).