Join our zoo community
skoop102

Asian Elephants at Twycross Zoo

These are two of the Asian Elephants who live at Twycross Zoo, England. This photo was taken last year before their enclosure was redesigned and rebuilt.

Asian Elephants at Twycross Zoo
skoop102, 13 Jul 2007
    • skoop102
      These are two of the Asian Elephants who live at Twycross Zoo, England.

This photo was taken last year before their enclosure was redesigned and rebuilt.
    • Writhedhornbill
      What has been done to the paddock? Any males coming soon?
    • skoop102
      The whole of the top end of the paddock (near to their house) has been redeveloped, with a new larger pool, sand pit, and its been made bigger. It's not completely finished yet though I don't think. I haven't really seen it that well as they were inside last time I went.
      The plans at the zoo show that there will be a boardwalk bridge over the pool/ lake.
      The old enclosure was very muddy in bad weather, it will be much better now though once its all finished. The enclosure is being done along with the new wetlands area and the reedbeds.
      I don't believe there are any plans for a male due to safety issues.

Did you know one of the young females (that was the offspring of the Chester male) left last year for Whipsnade, so there are only the 4 elephants at Twycross now.
    • dragon(ele)nerd
      yeah it was discussed on another thread that the Twycross zoo elephants should have access to a breeding male. Though Noor Jahaan is apparently pregnant through a.i though I'm not certain.
    • James27
      She is, but it's ridiculous that they haven't got a bull, they have plenty of room (at least a couple of acres) behind the current elephant exhibit.
    • dragon(ele)nerd
      Couldn't agree more even with Karishma gone, there are still 4 potential breeding cows.
      Is emmet even showing any interest in Karishma as far as breeding?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Twycross Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    skoop102
    Date:
    13 Jul 2007
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    175.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1024px
    Height:
    768px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    E3200
    Date / Time:
    2006:11:13 13:37:30
    Exposure Time:
    10/782 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 50
    Focal Length:
    12.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).