Join our zoo community
zoopalooza

Asian Elephants

Baby elephant confined and chained. This is terrible!

Asian Elephants
zoopalooza, 28 Jun 2010
    • zoopalooza
      Baby elephant confined and chained. This is terrible!
    • Animal
      From my view he just plays with a chain that was hanging around. The exhibit is still bad.
    • Stefka
      Agreed. His legs are not chained, are they?

The exhibit looks bad though, how big is it?
    • Chlidonias
      from memory the fenced area is about twice what is shown in this photo (or maybe three times). There were usually three or four elephants chained there any time I visited.

EDIT: have a look on page 5 of the Dusit gallery and my photos are there. There are three elephants, one of which is this same baby. It isn't chained, although the older ones are.
    • Stefka
      Wow, found it, pretty bad :mad:

But what about this picture? http://www.zoochat.com/663/asian-elephants-158226/

Are there two different elephant exhibits in this zoo?

I had a look on this gallery, and was very surprised by the signage - very good! And then the elephant exhibit.. it really looks horrific... what was your impression of this zoo as whole? Do you see it rebuilding the exhibit in near future?
    • Chlidonias
      as a whole the zoo is very good, in my opinion the second-best in southeast Asia (after Singapore), and it improved markedly between my first visit in 2006 and my second in 2009. There are some "bad" enclosures there but no more than would be commented upon at any western zoo. My 2009 visit: http://www.zoochat.com/320/dusit-zoo-11-november-2009-a-115860/

The little fenced area shown in this photo isn't what I would call an exhibit at all, its just a pen at the zoo entrance where a few elephants were being held at that time. I don't know how long they are there for, or even if the pen itself is temporary (they are just poles bolted onto the concrete after all). They are all tame elephants, and there are literally hundreds of these in Thailand, working the streets now the logging days are dwindling. Its no different to camels or llamas standing in pens at a childrens' zoo in any western zoo.
    • Chlidonias
      I was at the zoo yesterday and this elephant pen is no longer present, and the actual elephant enclosure has been part-demolished during a construction phase. All the elephants have been temporarily moved to another zoo.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Dusit Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    zoopalooza
    Date:
    28 Jun 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: