Join our zoo community
akasha

Asian Elephants

Asian Elephants
    • akasha
      I'm pretty sure this is Kanlaya and Anjalee.
    • Zoofan15
      @akasha Yes that’s Anjalee and Kanlaya. I didn’t realise Kanlaya was so tall. She clearly takes after her mother! I initially mistook her for Sabai based on size, but can’t see tusks.
    • akasha
      @Zoofan15 it’s the same individual I identified as Kanlaya in the other photo. There were 4 in this big front yard (all the girls I assumed), Gung by himself, and 2 up the back which I figured were the younger boys.

Anjalee certainly stands out, she looks quite different to the others which makes sense given she’s Sri Lankan.
    • Jambo
      I actually think that's Thong Dee, not Anjalee. It would also account to the size difference, Thong Dee is a rather small female. The female in the back looks to be Anjalee.
      akasha likes this.
    • akasha
      @Jambo could be. Truthfully, I don’t know much about the Asian Elephants, I just don’t love them like I loved the African ones :oops:
    • Zoofan15
    • akasha
      @Zoofan15 yeah, it’s gotta be Anjalee, she is completely different to the others. Even my non-zoo nerd sister pointed her out as different immediately.
    • Zoofan15
      @akasha It’s clearly Anjalee. She has a more domed head and has a Sri Lankan look about her.
      Jambo and akasha like this.
    • Jambo
      @Zoofan15 Sorry, i've always thought of Thong Dee as a short, bald female, but it turns out she actually has a decent amount of hair on her head and has quite a bit of pigmentation on her hairs. I think i've confused her with Num Oi tbh.

I'm suprised Kanlaya's so tall. The photo from Swanson02, seemed to show her noticeably shorter than Thong Dee, so maybe Anjalee's not as tall as we thought.
    • Zoofan15
      @Jambo I’ll admit I was thrown by their similarities in height and was looking for tusks to see if it was Sabai, as the calf looked way too big for a four year old compared to what we all believed to be a tall female. Anjalee had overtaken Burma in height by the time of her departure, but I’d never considered Burma to be a large cow. She was always noticeably smaller than Kashin.
      akasha likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Taronga Western Plains Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    akasha
    Date:
    20 Aug 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    6.7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4272px
    Height:
    2848px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 1100D
    Date / Time:
    2022:08:20 12:58:02
    Exposure Time:
    1/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    90 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).