Join our zoo community
geomorph

Asian Passage - Sun Bear Forest - Francois Langur Exhibit

November 2013. This Southeast-Asian-themed exhibit complex is composed of 4 exhibits: 1 for Lion-tailed Macaque, 1 for birds, 1 for Francois Langur, and 1 for Bornean Sun Bear.

Asian Passage - Sun Bear Forest - Francois Langur Exhibit
geomorph, 20 Dec 2013
    • geomorph
      November 2013. This Southeast-Asian-themed exhibit complex is composed of 4 exhibits: 1 for Lion-tailed Macaque, 1 for birds, 1 for Francois Langur, and 1 for Bornean Sun Bear.
    • snowleopard
      Does anyone have a succinct timeline for this particular exhibit? Francois langurs, gibbons, binturongs and macaques? (in various years)
    • geomorph
      In 2009 it contained silvered leaf monkey. I'm not sure when it was built, but I'm pretty sure it was not an original exhibit when Sun Bear Forest opened.
    • gerenuk
      It was originally built for Douc Langur around 2000.
    • geomorph
      That makes sense, I remember when the previous douc langur exhibit was in the monkey house in Lost Forest, in the part that was originally called Whittier Southeast Asian Exhibits (opened in 1982). It now houses Colombian Brown Spider Monkey and is next to the orangutan and siamang exhibit.
    • Cat-Man
      What happened to San Diego's Douc Langur?
    • EmperorTamarin
      The last Douc langur of San Diego, Toi, was sent to Philadelphia in 2009. Rumors have been spreading on this forum that they recently acquired 1,1 douc langurs, which are now held behind the scenes.
    • vogelcommando
      That would be great and hopefully they can build-up ( again ) a nice population of this wunderfull species !!!
    • Cat-Man
      I can believe them having them. With their climate, it would make sense for the animals to be held in southern california, or more so Florida than in chilly Philly!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    San Diego Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    geomorph
    Date:
    20 Dec 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: