Join our zoo community
KevinB

Asian woolly-necked stork (Ciconia episcopus episcopus), 2007-08-04

Photo taken back when Pairi Daiza was still called Parc Paradisio.Single specimen was housed with Abdim's storks in the cathedral/giant walk-through aviary. Pairi Daiza no longer keeps this species. Species also in picture (Abdim's stork, cattle egret, little egret) are still housed at Pairi Daiza.

Asian woolly-necked stork (Ciconia episcopus episcopus), 2007-08-04
KevinB, 12 Apr 2021
    • Great Argus
      This is a Woolly-necked Stork. Although there is an Abdim's head at lower left.
      KevinB likes this.
    • Terry Thomas
      A nice, interesting photo.
      KevinB likes this.
    • MonkeyBat
      How many facilities in the US hold this species? I know one safari park in Ohio has them but does anyone else hold wooly necked storks?
    • Great Argus
      @MonkeyBat If the species is still held there (only confirmation I can find is from June 2016) they would be the only Woolly-necks in North America as far as I know.
    • KevinB
      I apologize for the misidentification, I should have been more diligent and checked the characteristics of the bird better.

Even in Europe they aren't common. Currently there are 10 facilities with the Asian subspecies, 7 with the African subspecies and 2 with the Indonesian subspecies.
      Great Argus likes this.
    • Great Argus
      @KevinB It happens, we all do it occasionally. And to be fair the original named species is in the photo so it wasn't entirely wrong either! ;)
      KevinB likes this.
    • JurassicMax
      @KevinB According to Zootierliste the Asian subspecies is currently held in 14 facilities, the African subspecies only in 1 and the Indonesian subspecies in 0 facilities. The former holdings match your numbers. ZootierlisteHomepage
    • KevinB
      @JurassicMax Thank you for the correction. I'm sorry for making another mistake and missing that I was looking at the former holdings.

In any case, with 15 holders it is still definitely not a super common species. For Abdim's storks for example there are 56 current holders.
      JurassicMax likes this.
    • JurassicMax
      @KevinB it's completely fine, I make the same mistake constantly!
      Indeed, this species could use some more holders.
      KevinB likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Pairi Daiza
    Uploaded By:
    KevinB
    Date:
    12 Apr 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    1080px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    E-500
    Date / Time:
    2007:08:04 12:06:53
    Exposure Time:
    1/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    134 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).