Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

Auckland Zoo map, 1980s

during at least part of the eighties the Auckland Zoo didn't have a guidebook, but instead had this fold-out map with some info and photos on the reverse side. The map appears to be orientated with south to the right rather than at the bottom. Interesting species on the map (in as much as they are not found in NZ today) are camel, gemsbok, brown and polar bears, wombat, raccoon, and Tasmanian devil (!).

Auckland Zoo map, 1980s
Chlidonias, 16 Dec 2008
    • Chlidonias
      during at least part of the eighties the Auckland Zoo didn\'t have a guidebook, but instead had this fold-out map with some info and photos on the reverse side. The map appears to be orientated with south to the right rather than at the bottom. Interesting species on the map (in as much as they are not found in NZ today) are camel, gemsbok, brown and polar bears, wombat, raccoon, and Tasmanian devil (!).
    • NZ Jeremy
      Very cool it's interesting to see how the zoo has changed in only 20 or so years...

These old maps are great pieces of history..!
    • Chlidonias
      I quite like this map. Its brightly-coloured and fun for kids (or kids-at-heart!) to look at. On the other side of the fold-out where there is info and stuff, there's another more-regular map similar to the 1979 one
    • zebra finch
      Thank you for putting up a map of Auckland Zoo in the 1980s. I've been dying for a map of this zoo in the eighties as I went there every year in the latter part of the decade.
    • zebra finch
      Could you please kindly show the reverse side of that map. I would like to see what animals feature in the photos?
    • Chlidonias
      I can do but it will be a while. Everything I have left after the Chch earthquakes is packed away in boxes and I'm living out of a suitcase (so to speak).
    • zooboy28
      I've just realised that the edition of this map that I have is slightly different, apparently an older version. I would date mine early 1980s, as it mentions the aquarium (built 1980), but does not have the new Orang exhibit, which opened Jan 1987 and is shown in this map.

The main differences are that mine:

-Has a Red Kangaroo in place of the Mara
      -Has no "Wombat" next to the Racoon
      -Has Camels in place of the Giant Tortoises
      -Has an empty paddock where the camels are
      -Has no Kangaroos with the Emu
      -Has a waterfowl pond between the aquarium and Elephant pool
      -Has Macaques instead of Orangutans
      -Has Orangutans where the chimp cage is
      -Has Giant Tortoises where the Red Panda is
      -Has an Otter? where the Monitor Lizard is
      -Has a Kangaroo exhibit where the NZ Forest aviary now is
      -Has much fewer spots on the giraffes
    • Chlidonias
      maybe you should upload a photo of it then :p

For the benefit of anyone who didn't follow another conversation we had at some earlier point which I forget.....the funny-looking animal pictured on this map which I thought was a Tasmanian devil (and which I referred to as such in the initial post in this thread) was actually probably a very ferocious wombat instead (as mentioned by zooboy28 in the above post).
    • zooboy28
      Haha, yea I probably should have, might do that tomorrow.
    • zooboy28
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Auckland Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    16 Dec 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    338.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1064px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    PENTAX Corporation
    Model:
    PENTAX *ist DL
    Date / Time:
    2008:12:16 11:06:20
    Exposure Time:
    1/45 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    18 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).