Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

Auckland Zoo map, c. 1960

from the c.1960 guidebook, as per this thread http://www.zoochat.com/17/auckland-zoo-guide-book-c-1960-a-52980/ Unfortunately you won't be able to read the animals' names on the map as they are too small (it's hard enough on the original map in the guidebook!)

Auckland Zoo map, c. 1960
Chlidonias, 16 Dec 2008
Zoofan15 likes this.
    • Chlidonias
    • NZ Jeremy
      The zoo layout really didn't change much at all from conception till this map, many of the original features, animals and buildings are in the same place apparently unchanged...
    • Zoofan15
      @Chlidonias This is really interesting, especially how little it changed over the next 30 years. I can read all of the animal’s names except for the one I’m most curious about - what was in the large paddock near the lions. I’m 99% sure it says Banteng - a species I didn’t know Auckland Zoo had.
    • Chlidonias
      @Zoofan15 yes it says Banteng. Auckland had them in at least the 1920s and 1930s (they bred them in the 1930s), so they may have had them continuously through to the time of this map. Wellington also had them in the 1920s (at least).
    • Zoofan15
      @Chlidonias I found them in a 1924 map (on the opposite side of the zoo); but they were no longer in the zoo by the late 1970’s. A 1979 map showed North American bison housed in this exhibit (next to the lions; and now the site of the Australian precinct). Llamas moved in around the 1990’s.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Auckland Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    16 Dec 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    224.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1064px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    PENTAX Corporation
    Model:
    PENTAX *ist DL
    Date / Time:
    2008:12:16 11:11:13
    Exposure Time:
    1/60 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    18 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).