Join our zoo community
ZooGirl101

Auckland Zoo now offering the oppertunity to feed Porcupines

In early 2015 Auckland Zoo launched a Porcupine Behind the Scenes Tour, a first of it's kind for the zoo! At this point I can't think of any other zoo that lets you do this. I knew I had to try it out, and it was amazing!

Auckland Zoo now offering the oppertunity to feed Porcupines
ZooGirl101, 16 Feb 2015
    • ZooGirl101
      In early 2015 Auckland Zoo launched a Porcupine Behind the Scenes Tour, a first of it\'s kind for the zoo! At this point I can\'t think of any other zoo that lets you do this.

I knew I had to try it out, and it was amazing!
    • zooboy28
      Awesome! Do you get to go into the nocturnal house exhibit, or is this a seperate area out the back?
    • ZooGirl101
      Yes you get to go into the nocturnal house (old Kiwi enclosure). It was very interesting to be in there with the lights on! Plus the encounter takes place before hours that's why the lights are on.
    • zooboy28
      This is really great, I want to do it! Auckland Zoo has a good number of "experiences" available now, although they aren't cheap!
    • ZooGirl101
      No they definitely aren't cheap! The other new one is Squirrel Monkey, which I did on the same day :)
    • zooboy28
      Nice! I wonder if in a few months you'll get to get up close with capybaras in the squirrel monkey encounter. Did you get to go into the monkey enclosure too?
    • ZooGirl101
      Yes I did. We hand fed them. And the guide said that yes capybaras will soon be part of the squirrel monkey tour, well they'll be at your feet as you feed the monkeys.
    • JigerofLemuria
      Aside from the porcupines, are there any more inmates in the old Kiwi house? The flying foxes for examples?
    • zooboy28
      Following the death of one of the porcupines, the other was moved back to the (diurnal) Meerkat exhibit and the Nocturnal House again closed (probably permanently). There was only ever one exhibit in the house, so no opportunity to hold Flying-foxes. The Zoo has always displayed these in an outdoor aviary, although they have now been off-display for some time and I suspect this may also be a permanent arrangement.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Auckland Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    ZooGirl101
    Date:
    16 Feb 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    265.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    924px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7000
    Date / Time:
    2015:02:14 19:46:36
    Exposure Time:
    10/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    18 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).