Had a red river hog

Aug. 2020 - New! Animal Encounters Village - Rotational Exhibit
Moebelle, 9 Aug 2020
    • amur leopard
      No European zoo would ever do this.

EDIT: Maybe Chleby :p
    • Andrew Swales
      @amur leopard

Depends what the species and individuals are...
      look in the gallery for much, much worse examples in Europe - every falconry or bird-of-prey centre maybe? - plenty of 'rescue sanctuaries' - there are so many to chose from....
    • lintworm
      @Andrew Swales But name one European zoo that would build such an enclosure in 2020 and put a red river hog in...
    • Andrew Swales
      @lintworm
      If I was going to answer you which I am not, I would need some more info... how old is the Red River Hog, is it being hand-reared for some reason, how long does it stay 'on-show' here' etc - there must be more questions which dont immediately spring into my mind.
      I am certainly not going to start 'naming' any zoos, as there are plenty of examples of worse enclosures in the galleries, an example being one where 12 adult tigers share one outdoor cage on a 'rotational basis, and others where animals are still shut out on display to force them to exhibit themselves...
    • amur leopard
      @lintworm
      Yes this is what I meant, just to be clear. It doesn't even has to be a major zoo (which is the case here), just a zoo that would have (a) red river hog in such a pitiful environment in this day and age.
    • Andrew Swales
      I know nothing about the American style rotational system you say has been newly built at Columbus, so can only comment on the post. It is described as a 'Rotational Exhibit' not a Red River Hog exhibit - so it would be helpful if someone who knows why it was designed and how it works could explain, so that judgements could be made based on something more than a photograph. Comparison is invited for Europe where 'Rotational' exhibits are not the norm; as I said the only one I know of personally is an English zoo rotating 12 adult tigers in one cage.
      The other pictures of the 'Encounter Village' show a pretty complex with a very artificial theme. It looks designed to house/exhibit what the Americans call 'Ambassador Animals', which often spend much of their lives in sub-standard accommodation hidden from both the public and from ZooChatters cameras. Again it would be useful if someone who knows could tell us.
      PossumRoach likes this.
    • Mai Thai
      Did they bring this red river hog over from the rest of them in the Bonobo habitat
    • TinoPup
      Currently holds african crested porcupine.
    • Moebelle
      @TinoPup They rotate, it had a porcupine opening day (or close to it)
    • TinoPup
      @Moebelle For now, at least, it's just holding the porcupines, with capybara kept behind the scenes when not in the outside exhibit.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    Moebelle
    Date:
    9 Aug 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    6.3 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4608px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/2.2
    Make:
    samsung
    Model:
    SM-G973U
    Date / Time:
    2020:08:08 13:00:18
    Exposure Time:
    1/343 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 50
    Focal Length:
    1.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).