Join our zoo community
Baldur

Auto Safari Zoo 1989 - Hartmanns Mountain Zebra

Auto Safari Zoo 1989 - Hartmanns Mountain Zebra
Baldur, 21 Jan 2010
    • Kudu21
      Hartmann's Mountain Zebra :)
    • Baldur
      Cheers, a zebra looking like this always seems like a Grant's to me, what is the main thing to take notice of? Is it the width of the rear white stripe?
    • devilfish
      The main thing to notice is the dewlap (loose skin under the neck), which is typical of mountain zebras. Cape mountain zebras are a bit stockier, and have much more conspicuous ears. I've found that the stripes on the rear tend to be a bit wider in mountain zebras, but as this varies between individuals, it's not a very accurate way of telling them apart.
    • Baldur
      Thank you Devilfish! I'll certainly keep the dewlap in mind from now on, especially as I hope to visit some of the zoos this year that, according to Zootierliste, keep them.
    • Maguari
      The best clues from a stripe perspective are the little stripes running across the top of the rump, perpendicular to the wide black ones.

But, as devilfish says, the most obvious Mountain Zebra clue is the dewlap.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Auto Safari Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Baldur
    Date:
    21 Jan 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    930 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1544px
    Height:
    1024px
    Make:
    NORITSU KOKI
    Model:
    QSS-32_33
    Date / Time:

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).