In the mixed Asian exhibit entitled 'Rhino Park'

Axis deer and Blackbuck
Goura, 9 Apr 2012
German Zoo World likes this.
    • Goura
      In the mixed Asian exhibit entitled \'Rhino Park\'
    • Monty
      Who won.

The Chital seems to have trimmed antlers or are they broken.
    • Goura
      I'm not surprised they are broken - its antlers were never designed to fight with a horned antelope. I didn't stay long enough to check out the winner but I visited twice whilst in Vienna and they were fighting both times.
    • Monty
      I think his antlers would be a lot harder than the antelope's. They also seem very square on the end, like they have been cut. Were they both the same length, as I suspect they were cut off to protect the Blackbuck.
    • Goura
      You're probably right there since i notice now that they do look 'pruned'. The problem with having only a couple of days to visit a new zoo, take it all in AND take photos of a reasonable quality is that you don't really observe as much as you should. I'm sure you know what i mean.
    • FBBird
      I would suggest the pointed horns of the Blackbuck are more likely to be lethal to the Chital; I seem to remember reading that 'switch' [unbranched] antlers on deer gave an advantage when fighting an animal with normal antlers.
    • Chlidonias
      in any case the forward tine of the chital is not "pruned" which suggests the antlers have not been cut by the keepers but have been broken. FBBird is right, the horns of the blackbuck would be much more dangerous than the antlers of the deer.
    • tschandler71
      Normally they separate male hoofstock that show competition across species in American zoos. They say it causes stress.
    • Goura
      I agree that would seem logical - this was an 'Indian' exhibit and also contained nilgai and indian rhino. I don't know how they manage in zoos with limited space (as in the case of Schonbrunn) or else they are constantly moving animals around.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Tiergarten Schönbrunn
    Uploaded By:
    Goura
    Date:
    9 Apr 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    527.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    E-410
    Date / Time:
    2010:07:20 07:31:19
    Exposure Time:
    1/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    252 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).