Join our zoo community
Maguari

Baboon Island at Krefeld 15/05/09

This exhibit is unbelievable. Quite before the clearly rather less-than-ideal environment for the baboons is considered, how on Earth are the baboons even kept in? The moat is surely easily leapable? (And if not, there's a helpful bridge, see other photos!)

Baboon Island at Krefeld 15/05/09
Maguari, 26 May 2009
ZooNerd1234 likes this.
    • Maguari
      This exhibit is unbelievable. Quite before the clearly rather less-than-ideal environment for the baboons is considered, how on Earth are the baboons even kept in? The moat is surely easily leapable? (And if not, there\'s a helpful bridge, see other photos!)
    • snowleopard
      Incredibly interesting series of photos of this exhibit. I think that the moat is obviously just slightly too far for the baboons to leap out of, as the prospect of landing on hard ground probably does not entice them to attempt an escape. If there was a tree branch nearby then that would be a different story, but from the other photos it appears that the greenery is too far away for a sustained pounce to freedom. The sheer drop at the back of the island, where the keeper's bridge is, also appears to be too much of a leap of faith for the baboons to attempt. On a side note, this enclosure is hideous and basically a pile of cement.;)
    • Maguari
      I can only assume you're right in terms of the leaping/dropping distance. The exhibit is fascinating but really for all the wrong reasons - it looks so susceptible to escape and it is so small (I actually think the design would be fine if it was a couple of times larger and had a bit of flat (soft!) ground at the front).
    • dean
      Also what would stop some fool walking across to the apes rather than the apes walking to them? If they could force the metal post retainers off and push the log down, bye bye zoo hello world.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Krefeld
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    26 May 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: