vogelcommando

baby butterfly ( ID?)

nov. 2012

baby butterfly ( ID?)
vogelcommando, 22 Mar 2013
    • devilfish
      Euploia sp.
    • Chlidonias
      just out of interest, in English a baby butterfly is called a caterpillar (I'm guessing you weren't sure of the word) -- but in Dutch is there a specific word for it, or does it actually translate as "baby caterpillar"?

(For more random interest, the English words derive as follows: I always believed that butterfly was a corruption of "flutter by", but apparently it comes from either a vague Old English meaning of "beat" and "fly", or in my opinion more likely given similar names in other European languages from a connection with butter itself (thanks Wikipedia!); caterpillar is a wiggly derivative of an Old French dialect literally meaning "hairy cat" apparently!)
    • vogelcommando
      @ Chlidonias I know the word Caterpillar but in fact it is a baby butterfly :) and in Dutch there are different words for butterfly ( = vlinder ) and Caterpillar ( = rups ).
      @ devilfish : Thanks !
    • vogelcommando
      @ Chlidonias : in the Dutch wildlife gallery I placed a picture of a Brimstone butterfly under the name Lemmon butterfly and Dean corrected it and in his comment he also explains that the name Butterfly comes from this butterfly species because it's color is like butter ! See :http://www.zoochat.com/706/lemmon-butterfly-332225/
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Dierenpark Emmen (Closed)
    Uploaded By:
    vogelcommando
    Date:
    22 Mar 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: