Join our zoo community
cypher

Baby Yaks

Here's baby Yaks Gemini and Summer Ray, oh, and a Przewalski?s Horse decided to sneak in the shot. I'm not sure, but I believe Gemini is in the back and Summer Ray is in the front of the picture. If I'm wrong, let me know. Also, if you look carefully, you can see that both of their horns are starting to grow in.

Baby Yaks
cypher, 29 Aug 2014
    • cypher
      Here\'s baby Yaks Gemini and Summer Ray, oh, and a Przewalski’s Horse decided to sneak in the shot.

I\'m not sure, but I believe Gemini is in the back and Summer Ray is in the front of the picture. If I\'m wrong, let me know.

Also, if you look carefully, you can see that both of their horns are starting to grow in.
    • Pleistohorse
      Cool Picture. Love Asian Highland/Steppe Exhibits.
    • TZFan
      I would agree with you on the ID's for two reason. One photos of Gemini have always had her looking like she has a black coat where as Summer Rain has always looked brown to me. Secondly the calf in the front doesnt have a big yellow tag in her left ear which Gemini has. Her tag also says 7 just for reference later. I would guess Summer has a tag in her right ear which you cant see, it could be another colour or still yellow but it will likely say 8 as she is the 8th member of the herd.

I love the horse trying to sneak a look at the calves.
    • cypher
      So I looked at some other pictures I have, and I think I can pretty much confirm that you're right TZFan.

Gemini has a yellow ear tag in her left ear, not sure on the number, but 7 makes sense. Summer Ray has a yellow tag in her right ear. Not sure on her number either, but I think assuming its 8 makes sense as well.
    • TZFan
      Take a look at the photo I posted of Gemini in June and you will see the ear tag and number. That was just days after her birth and well before Summers birth so I can say with total confidence thats the best was to tell them apart.
    • cypher
      I'll try looking for the ear tag of Summer Ray during my next visits. Hopefully, they'll be out from now on instead of behind the back fence.
    • TZFan
      As long as you know Gemini has the seven then you can tell the two apart. Summer Rain should have an 8. It just would make sense. My guess would also be Amy has a 6 on her ear tag as she was the 6th in the herd. Now if it had occurred to us sooner we could have learned the numbers of their respective mothers when the calves were tiny or new. Unfortunately it didnt. Maybe if more calves come next year we can sort out the adult females.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cypher
    Date:
    29 Aug 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    318 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1067px
    Aperture:
    f/5.3
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7100
    Date / Time:
    2014:08:28 13:37:29
    Exposure Time:
    1/2500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    195 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).