Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Bald Eagle Exhibit - Detroit Zoo

July 2008. There are 2 eagles in the background.

Bald Eagle Exhibit - Detroit Zoo
snowleopard, 18 Jul 2008
    • snowleopard
      July 2008. There are 2 eagles in the background.
    • mstickmanp
      Wow, they're not in an aviary.
    • snowleopard
      It's a great, wide-open exhibit.
    • Sun Wukong
      ...which means that they are probably wing-clipped (or otherwise impacted in their flight). And that means the 'great, wide-open' exhibit is pretty much wasted on them, as they can't use it.
    • okapikpr
      All Bald Eagles in captivity within the United States must be non-releaseable. The majority of this birds suffer wing injuries and the birds themselves cannot fly...there are actually many open enclosures for Bald Ealges because of this. There are very few in captivity (US) that can actually fly.
    • Sun Wukong
      @okapikpr: Interesting, as I know at least two American zoo with Bald eagles that can fly...However, the parameter you mention doesn't actually change what I wrote before. One could question whether this kind of life is appropriate for a raptor or whether euthanasia would have been the better choice. This tricky moral question occurs more than often in avian clinics dealing with birds of prey...
    • okapikpr
      Let me elaborate on my last post. These non-releaseable eagles are often paired up in zoos. The chicks produced from these birds, and there have been many, are not kept in captivity but relocated to a hacking center to be prepped for eventual release into the wild.
    • Blackduiker
      Blackduiker

Seattle... Now that's a great Bald Eagle exhibit! They not only fly, but you can actually walk right into the enclosure, stand on a deck and watch them in the trees in front of you, or eating fish on the ground next to a flowing stream.:cool:
    • Zoogoer2000
      Toronto has 2 or 3 fully flying bald eagles but they are kept within aviaries (which are actually of pretty good size)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Detroit Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    18 Jul 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    536.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2008:07:06 12:37:26
    Exposure Time:
    10/1600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).