Join our zoo community
Goura

Bali Bird park

Species of bulbul?

Bali Bird park
Goura, 7 Aug 2019
UngulateNerd92 and TheGerenuk like this.
    • drill
      I don't think so.
    • Goura
      @drill - any pointers as to what it looks like? Might help my search...
    • drill
      @Goura I don't know. What was the name of the exhibit the bird was in? I'm thinking a female tanager or some sort of flycatcher.
    • Goura
      @drill it was in a single-species aviary which was signed as 'Sooty-headed bulbul' (Pycnonotus aurigaster) and it definitely isn't that species...unless they were also in the aviary and I didn't see them. If it's any help, it's unlikely to be a tanager since I saw no others and it was quite 'bulky' in build compared with a tanager...about the size of a small starling. Here's a thought - could it be an immature Black-winged starling? Bali has it's own subspecies (Sturnus melanopterus tertius) but the photos of the adult don't look like this one exactly - they don't have that 'sooty' look to the plumage and the white areas are more pure white.
    • TeaLovingDave
      @Goura

Here's a thought - could it be an immature Black-winged starling? Bali has it's own subspecies (Sturnus melanopterus tertius) but the photos of the adult don't look like this one exactly - they don't have that 'sooty' look to the plumage and the white areas are more pure white.

That's my thinking too - a hybrid/impure Black-winged Starling.
      Goura likes this.
    • drill
      It wasn't in a country themed area?
    • Goura
      @drill No, just a (possibly mixed species) aviary
    • drill
      Some sort of flycatcher?
    • Goura
      @drill I'm pretty sure that based on the general appearance of the bird and the fact that a similar looking species is found on Bali, I'm inclined to go with the starling idea (see comments above)
    • Salt Merchant
      I'm two years late, but this is an daurian starling.
      Goura likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bali Bird Park
    Uploaded By:
    Goura
    Date:
    7 Aug 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.2 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1920px
    Height:
    2560px
    Aperture:
    f/4.7
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    E-3
    Date / Time:
    2012:05:21 10:32:17
    Exposure Time:
    1/60 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1250
    Focal Length:
    169 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).