Join our zoo community
Vision

Bali myna, Leucopsar rothschildi

July 2016. Bali Barat National Park, Bali.

Bali myna, Leucopsar rothschildi
    • Vision
      Saw these in one of the last strongholds for this critically endangered species, Bali Barat National Park. This is without any doubt my favorite wild bird species so far.

I saw this pair flashing over a few times immediately upon arrival to the place they're most easily seen (a clearance in the North-Western corner of the national park) but had to wait around for about 2-3 hours to eventually see them sitting down in a tree, when I got this picture. In total I saw three individuals, this pair and a third bird flying away in the trees.

During my wait there were enough other animals around the clearance to keep me interested (short-tailed starling, chestnut-headed bee-eater, long-tailed shrike, small minivet, white-shouldered triller, banded pig, javan langur...), but none of them could quite trump these! This is truly one of the most magical birds, and while my picture doesn't do it justice the blue eye-stripe is especially striking in person.
    • Onychorhynchus coronatus
      Brilliant to see a shot of these in the wild @Vision ! I can quite understand why this is your favourite wild bird seen so far, what a treat to see them in their natural habitat !
      Vision likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Indonesia - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Vision
    Date:
    9 Jun 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    6.3 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 600D
    Date / Time:
    2016:07:07 09:31:02
    Exposure Time:
    1/160 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    250 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).