Join our zoo community
Kudu21

Banded Palm Civet

Here is an updated, cropped version of one of my older photos. The old ones can be deleted.

Banded Palm Civet
Kudu21, 17 Jul 2011
    • Kudu21
      Here is an updated, cropped version of one of my older photos. The old ones can be deleted.
    • Reedstilt
      When was this picture taken? 2010, right?

If I remember correctly, this animal died late 2010 of ovarian cancer. Very sad. She won't soon be replaced. Her exhibit was home to a kookaburra for a time, but she's been moved to where the Indian porcupine used to be (don't recall seeing the porcupine in its old exhibit when I was there a couple weeks ago). Last I saw, the palm civet's exhibit was used as extra space for the squirrels and bettongs.
    • Kudu21
      Yes, this picture was taken about a year ago in July. That's very sad to hear that she has passed. I hadn't heard that she had. Isn't it interesting how such a rare animal passed without any mentioning? This means that there is now just a single Banded Palm Civet (The male at the Cincinnati Zoo) outside of Asia.

It's a shame that her exhibit sits holding animals seen elsewhere in the Roadhouse. I'd love to see another rare Australasian species take up residence there.
    • team tapir
      This exhibit now houses two male Tiger Quolls which is a rare carnivorous marsupial.Columbus is the only zoo in North America to exhibit them.

Team Tapir
    • Kudu21
      If the Tiger Quolls are in this exhibit now, what is in the old Tiger Quoll exhibit?
    • Moebelle
      It's either Prevost's Squirrels or Woylies I think.
    • team tapir
      As of yesterday the first exhibit upon entering the Roadhouse are Bettongs and Prevosts Squirells.Acoss from that to the left are the Brown Kiwi.Next exhibit to the right is a Childrens Python and to the left are the Fishing Cats.Next on the left is the Tawny Frogmouth.Next is a open habitat for Matchies Tree Kangeroos which are right next to the Tiger Quolls.Across from them is a small sugar glider like species.ISIS still lists Columbus as having a Banded Palm Civet but it is no longer on display at the Roadhouse and I guess we are not sure which enclosure it was in with thought it was what is now the Tiger Quolls but we could be wrong.

Team Tapir
    • Kudu21
      As Reedstilt stated above, the Banded Palm Civet passed away in 2010. The Banded Palm Civet enclosure was roughly opposite the Tiger Quoll exhibit. The Feathertail Gliders were next to the Banded Palm Civet, and the Tiger Quolls were next to the Matschie's Tree Kangaroos. So by the sound of it the Tawny Frogmouth is in the former Banded Palm Civet exhibit. Your posts lacks to mention the Lesser Dog-faced Fruit Bats. Are they no longer on display?
    • team tapir
      @kudu Do not recall seeing Lesser dog faced fruit bats yesterday.

Team Tapir
    • KCZooFan
      Omaha used to have quolls (not sure of the species) in their noctural exhibit. Much more exciting than sugar gliders.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    Kudu21
    Date:
    17 Jul 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    144.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    665px
    Height:
    710px
    Aperture:
    f/3.0
    Make:
    EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
    Model:
    KODAK Z740 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
    Date / Time:
    2004:06:06 07:46:45
    Exposure Time:
    1/2 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 140
    Focal Length:
    8.5 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).