Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Banyan Wilds - Sloth Bear Exhibit #1 (New in 2015)

May 10th, 2015.

Banyan Wilds - Sloth Bear Exhibit #1 (New in 2015)
snowleopard, 11 May 2015
    • snowleopard
      May 10th, 2015.
    • zooboy28
      Are the rock walls at the back new? Or remnants of an old exhibit?
    • Gulo gulo
      They are remnants, much like the exhibit. Some new rockwork has been added.
    • snowleopard
      The 1950's grotto has barely been altered, other than the rock formation that has become a bear den and the disappearance of the climbing structure. One could make the case that the new Sloth Bear exhibit is actually worse than it used to be as the viewing area is now much smaller for visitors. The second Sloth Bear exhibit is much better (but simply the old Sun Bear grotto with viewing windows) while the one in the photo above is disappointing. Instead of being able to view the bears via a long guard rail that traveled the length of the enclosure, now there is a fairly small viewing area that allows visitors to see the bears only through glass.

This photo of the exhibit is from 11 months ago:

http://www.zoochat.com/622/sloth-bear-exhibit-368191/
    • zooboy28
      Thanks both. I would have seen this exhibit then when I visited last year then, I remember thinking that new exhibits would be a great addition to the zoo, but I was imagining something more like what the bears in Northern Trail have, rather than just renovated grottoes. Very disappointing.
    • blospz
      Well I can at least commend them for the natural substrate on the ground and the cave area for shade (even if the mock rock work is quite evident).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Woodland Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    11 May 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    382.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-ZS5
    Date / Time:
    2015:05:10 11:11:51
    Exposure Time:
    10/5000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 320
    Focal Length:
    4.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).