Join our zoo community
Javan Rhino

Barbary lion

Barbary lion 'Milo' at the top of the park (opposite Siberian tigers)

Barbary lion
Javan Rhino, 13 Jun 2011
    • Javan Rhino
      Barbary lion \'Milo\' at the top of the park (opposite Siberian tigers)
    • Animal
      Does he still breed?
    • Jordan-Jaguar97
      What a Stunning mane!

Animal-Milo is a twin of Moonlight who is now at Hannover(His name has been changed since he departed for Hannover)he was the last litter of parents Suliman(no mane)and Saffie.
    • Pertinax
      What a great shot, Javan Rhino! Like the Brown Hyaena one(not yours, I know) its good enough for a guidebook cover!
    • Pertinax
      As Jordan said, he's one of the last litter of three cubs of the(then) breeding pair Suliman and Saffie. The other two are a female and another male.

The other brother (Moonlight) has gone to Hanover as a breeder and been renamed. The sister is still(?)with the parents (her father is now castrated). As such this male 'Milo' is now the only maned male at the Park. He lives alone at present and has not bred. I suspect they might rehome him if there is somewhere involved with 'Barbaries' who needs him as they seem not to be breeding anymore at present.
    • AgileGibbon
      There was a notice by his enclosure stating that they are trying to find an unrelated female for him, but they are having difficulties due to there not being many barbary lions left. I assume part of this is so they can breed from him, but they also want him to have some company, as he started stereotyping when his brother left.
      Milo was calling very loudly when this picture was taken, I was lucky enough to be able to record it on my phone :)
    • Eagle
      They could send him to Erfurt, they are looking for a new male for their female barbary lions.
    • Animal
      His Brother is already breeding in Hannover. I think if he would also breed, there would be a bit much of this line out there.
    • Arizona Docent
      That is one very impressive looking lion.
    • Pertinax
      I also believe its one reason Port Lympne have stopped breeding from these two males' parents (father is now castrated!).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Port Lympne Wild Animal Park
    Uploaded By:
    Javan Rhino
    Date:
    13 Jun 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count: