Join our zoo community
animalman0341

Barbary Macaque

Barbary Macaque
animalman0341, 10 Jul 2022
JigerofLemuria and carlos55 like this.
    • dillotest0
      I was under the impression there were about none in North America?
    • animalman0341
      @dillotest0 you’re not totally wrong, but there are still a few hanging on in a few facilities. I believe these macaques are either decedents or former members of the Toronto group. @TZFan is the foremost expert on this, so I will let them educate us :)
    • TZFan
      Lol I wouldn't say I was the foremost expert on Barbary macaques in the slightest bit. However I do know Toronto still has at least 1, possibly 2 elderly females. They are off display and have been for oh the better part of a decade. At least some if not all of the macaques at Safari Niagara are from Toronto's group. When they shut down the Eurasia section at Toronto for a revamp they knew they didn't want to keep the group. The younger healthier 4-6 of them were given to Safari Niagara. The two elderly females werent fitting in well with the group anymore and just not healthy enough to risk a move so they stayed on.

If you want to know if any other zoo or sanctuary in Canada or the US has the species? Not a clue.
    • animalman0341
      @TZFan I knew you’d have the answer! Thanks :)
    • TZFan
      @animalman0341 glad I had just barely enough info to help. It is a species I know very little about.
    • Neil chace
      @TZFan I think there might be one or two other holders in Canada, but in the United States there are zero holders of barbary macaque.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Safari Niagara
    Uploaded By:
    animalman0341
    Date:
    10 Jul 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.6 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).