Join our zoo community
ThylacineAlive

Baringo Giraffe?

Carter Giraffe Building- Baringo Giraffe? October 4, 2015. The pattern looks more like that of a Reticulated than a Baringo to me.

Baringo Giraffe?
ThylacineAlive, 8 Oct 2015
    • ThylacineAlive
      Carter Giraffe Building- Baringo Giraffe? October 4, 2015. The pattern looks more like that of a Reticulated than a Baringo to me.
    • jbnbsn99
      Looks retic-ish to me.
    • ThylacineAlive
      I was afraid of that. I really hope the zoo isn't planning on breeding him with the Baringos. Can't think of another reason why he'd be here, though.

~Thylo:cool:
    • savethelephant
      I can't see why the Bronx would do this considering they have had calves recently!!:mad:
    • Azamat Shackleford
      Really hoping that it's just a reticulated-looking Baringo. According to news sources with their new Baringo giraffe calf it's said that they're, well, Baringo, but if that's a misinterpreted Reticulated then we'll be seeing Baringo-Retic hybrid giraffe calves born in the Bronx. Not good considering that we really don't need anymore hybrid animals born in AZA-accredited facilities.
    • ThylacineAlive
      All animals listed as Reticulated in the US are already BaringoXReticulated hybrids. It seems the two populations are now being managed as one as well which is really stupid to me as the two are now suspected to be separate species. Keeping and breeding hybrids of endangered species doesn't do anything for the conservation of the actual species.

~Thylo:cool:
    • Ituri
      The following is a summary of my understanding of the justification the Antelope & Giraffe TAG used when they decided to merge the populations into one.

1) a genetic study showed that a large portion of animals listed as pure retic or roth were in fact, hybrids.
      2) the genetic diversity of roths was low to the point of unsustainability, merging the populations fixed this.
      4) giraffes are not and have not been bred in US zoos with the goal of reintroduction into the wild, moving giraffes, particularly internationally is not easy. These animals instead serve as ambassadors for wild giraffes.
      JVM likes this.
    • Azamat Shackleford
      Wow, that stinks. I heard that the Giraffe TAG doesn't really care about hybridization so that's a real buzzkill :(
      JVM likes this.
    • jayjds2
      I wish we'd either a) focus on Masai or b) just get a new set of whatever species of giraffe. I really hate the giraffe hybridization.
      JVM likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bronx Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    ThylacineAlive
    Date:
    8 Oct 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    284.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1071px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D3000
    Date / Time:
    2015:10:04 02:30:45
    Exposure Time:
    10/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    55 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).