Join our zoo community
jerseygorilla

Bear/Coati/Howler Monkey/Otter House

The Cloud Forest house. Contains Asian Short Clawed Otters, Andean Bears, Black Howler Monkey's and Ring Tailed Coati's, as well as various free flying birds.

Bear/Coati/Howler Monkey/Otter House
jerseygorilla, 18 Jan 2011
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • jerseygorilla
      The Cloud Forest house. Contains Asian Short Clawed Otters, Andean Bears, Black Howler Monkey\'s and Ring Tailed Coati\'s, as well as various free flying birds.
    • foz
      How does the whole exhibit work? more specifically are the bears and all the others mixed (outdoor - wise)? and how big do you think the exhibit is as a whole?

Thanks in advance
    • FBBird
      The birds are confined to the indoor public walk-through. I'm not sure whether the Coatis mix with the Bears, but the single Otter runs with the Bears indoors and outdoors, and I'm sure I've seen the monkeys and Bears together outside. Jerseygorilla or Jerseylotte could probably give you more info. Overall, this is a very attractive and successful exhibit.
    • jerseygorilla
      The birds live only in the indoor house, and are free flying. Inside, there is an empty bat enclosure. The bear's are normally just kept with the otter, though I have seen them with the other species before, but only on the side near the Reptile House. The Coati's and Howler monkey's are always on the far side of the exhibit, next to the Princess Royal Pavilion and close to the the Reptile House. The Otter is constantly moving from one side to the other, but never seems to go in the Howler Monkey/Coati bedroom. Not sure on the exhibit sizes, but they are a reasonable size.
    • FBBird
      Bear/Coati

Last summer the Monkeys spent a lot of time on the other side of the house ie the enclosure nearest the zoo entrance, and I'm almost sure I saw the Bears out with them. These Monkeys, along with White-naped Cranes, Gibbons & Ruffed Lemurs, are one of the 'sounds' of the Zoo.
    • jerseygorilla
      That's unusual, I don't think I have ever seen the Howler's on that side
    • FBBird
      Bear/Coati/Howler

This was through last August; things may have changedsince then
    • soozthecat
      Yes this past summer I also saw the Howlers on the side the bears normally are, by the statue at the entrance.
    • Pertinax
      1. Is it called 'First Impressions' still- or nowadays 'Cloud Forest House'?

2. Do you still go down a spiral(?) staircase inside to view the Bears?

3. What year did it open?
    • jerseygorilla
      I think the exhibit first opened in 1999, was called 'First Impressions', and was built on the old Cheetah and Babirusa enclosures. Nowadays, the exhibit seems to be called 'the Cloud Forest' and not 'First Impressions'. As for the indoor part, there are two floors. The top floor which you enter just has an empty enclosure that used to house bats, and a small viewing window for the side that usually contains Howler Monkeys and Coatis. There is still the spiral staircase to get down to the bears, but also a lift. On the bottom floor there is two indoor viewing areas, one for the Andean Bears and Otter, and one for the Howler Monkeys and Ring Tailed Coatis. There is also free flying birds.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust
    Uploaded By:
    jerseygorilla
    Date:
    18 Jan 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    259.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.7
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix Z33WP
    Date / Time:
    2011:01:04 16:21:32
    Exposure Time:
    10/2500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    6.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).