Join our zoo community
OrangePerson

Bear enclosure - progress so far!

It's big, looks to be on a similar scale to the lions.

Bear enclosure - progress so far!
OrangePerson, 6 Oct 2013
    • OrangePerson
      It's big, looks to be on a similar scale to the lions.
    • thezootoday
      Any news on which species they will be getting and where from?
    • OrangePerson
      Not yet no but someone thought it would be announced within the next few weeks.
    • Shawy81
      they still haven't got planning permission yet so surprised they have started ground works already
    • OrangePerson
      Oops, don't tell anybody. Maybe they're just planting bulbs!
    • Big Rob
      Well I think they must have got planning permission sorted by now seeing as though the Polar Bear rescue appeal has been in the national press for a good few weeks now. I hope they get it all finished for Easter as planned,but it looks like gang warfare around the area of Mexico where the first rescued bear is supposedly coming from may hold up the transfer.:(
    • Maguari
      I'd be very surprised if the Mexican bear were the first to arrive - and fairly surprised if they end up getting her at all.

I undersand they already have at least one surplus male bear lined up from the European breeding programme (this was mentioned in one of the press releases if I recall). This will be their main role in Polar Bear keeping - holding surplus animals until needed by the programme and probably holding animals post-breeding age in retirement.
    • Pertinax
      Being onside with the EEP will ensure they get Bears.;) The 'rescue' scenarios are far more hit and miss- they only happen very rarely and no guarantee they will work out as you have indicated above.

Good to see the 'Bearworks' are progressing. Is there a timeline on this?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Yorkshire Wildlife Park
    Uploaded By:
    OrangePerson
    Date:
    6 Oct 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    114.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    533px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 50D
    Date / Time:
    2013:10:05 14:52:39
    Exposure Time:
    1/125 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 320
    Focal Length:
    17 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).