Join our zoo community
Ste-W

Bears at Flamingo Land - Mid 1970's

Bears at Flamingo Land - Mid 1970's
Ste-W, 6 Jun 2010
    • Ste-W
      Does anyone know any history regarding the bears at Flamingo Land? Did they keep mixed species together for long & were there any problems with this practice.

Doesn't seem right & how many different bears did they have at any one time.

Cheers...
    • Zooplantman
      Of course, different as grizzlies and polar bears appear today, it is thought that polar bears separated from grizzlies not so long ago. Interesting to see them side by side.

As to this old exhibit... very washable
    • Baldur
      Never heard of an English zoo mixing bears but at least two in Germany (Osnabruck and Hannover) did so at this time.
    • Pertinax
      I have a postcard from Flamingo Park from this era, it shows Polar(2), Brown(2), Himalayan(2?) and Sun Bears all mixed together and begging food at the front of the enclosure. Looks horrible.
    • Paradoxurus
      There were hybrid Polar x Brown Bears born at Flamingoland.
    • johnstoni
      Heythrop (private) zoo still mix polar and brown bears to my knowledge.
    • Paradoxurus
      At Heythrop, an Asiatic Black Bear shares an enclsure with the Polar Bear.
    • Pertinax
      Do you know any further details- e.g. did they survive or where they went to if they did. Or which parent was which sex?
    • Jordan-Jaguar97
      I know that Flamingoland had 0.1 in 2002 named Mandy but she died.
    • Maguari
      Mandy was pure Polar not a Polar x Brown hybrid. ;)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Flamingo Land
    Uploaded By:
    Ste-W
    Date:
    6 Jun 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    176.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1002px
    Height:
    1013px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).