Join our zoo community
TinoPup

Beavertail Aquarium - aquarium and lighthouse

Beavertail Aquarium - aquarium and lighthouse
TinoPup, 24 Jul 2022
snowleopard and Gil like this.
    • ZooElephantMan
      I visited the aquarium yesterday, and I was really perplexed by the giant pair of black tubes sticking out of the side of the building. They almost looked like an oversized set of binoculars, and I wonder if the aquarists ever peer through the pipes like periscopes to keep an eye out for intruders :p
      TinoPup likes this.
    • TinoPup
      @ZooElephantsMan lol! I assumed they were for cannons or something, didn't really think about it. The beaches in Delaware have a lot of that sort of thing, since they're the entrance to the Delaware Bay / Delaware River (protecting Philadelphia, basically).
    • ZooElephantMan
      @TinoPup Cannons could make sense. I also wondered if the tubes could somehow be involved in ventilation? Or maybe they function as giant fog horns.
      TinoPup likes this.
    • TinoPup
    • ZooElephantMan
      @TinoPup Wow! I was just kind of guessing earlier, and didn't expect my fog-horn idea to actually be true!

I just did some more research into it, and it seems like they were once used to alert passing ships audibly when the visibility of the lighthouse was obscured. It seems like these are replicas though, only for historic purposes.
      TinoPup likes this.
    • TinoPup
      @ZooElephantsMan Yeah, fog horns makes total sense for when the light was hard to see. I looked at a few other photos of fog horns and the styles differ wildly.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Beavertail Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    TinoPup
    Date:
    24 Jul 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.6 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4000px
    Height:
    3000px
    Aperture:
    f/2.2
    Make:
    samsung
    Model:
    SM-G998U
    Date / Time:
    2022:07:05 14:58:13
    Exposure Time:
    1/2497 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 50
    Focal Length:
    2.2 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).