Join our zoo community
Tiger

Behind the scenes - enclosure for red kangaroos

Due to the construction of the new antelope enclosures, the path along some off-show enclosures has been temporarily opened to the public. However, this area was originally open to the public. In the past, this enclosure housed European moose and, in particular, saiga antelopes.

Behind the scenes - enclosure for red kangaroos
Tiger, 3 Jun 2023
    • KevinB
      I also remember this exhibit housing Poitou donkeys and male Dybowksi's sika deer. I did not however know about the saiga, that was before my time.
      Tiger likes this.
    • Valvas
      @KevinB Maps from the time indeed state that the saiga that Planckendael had in the 1970's and 1980's were predominantly kept in this enclosure. Poitou asses seem to have been the subsequent inhabitants, as they were kept here from at least the early 1990's to -if I recall correctly- the early 2000's. During the last years in which it was visible to the public, I vagely remember it variably being used as an extension to the ajdoining moose enclosure and as temporary housing for surplus hoofstock, including male Dybowski's deer.
      Tiger and KevinB like this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Planckendael
    Uploaded By:
    Tiger
    Date:
    3 Jun 2023
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    788.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    1080px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).