Join our zoo community
Ste-W

Bison - 07.08.2010

Bison - 07.08.2010
Ste-W, 31 Oct 2010
    • KCZooFan
      Are these American bison?
    • Ste-W
      Double check of the safari park guide & yes you are correct, they are American Bison :)
    • KCZooFan
      Okay, I just wasn't sure what (if any) zoos kept European bison:)
    • Maguari
      In the UK you can see European Bison at Howletts, Highland, Whipsnade and Port Lympne. According to good ol' Zootierliste, American Bison are at just 7 different UK zoos.

To be honest, if I hadn't checked I'd have thought American were more common than that in the UK. 10-15 years ago American Bison were much more widespread.

As a caveat to that, though, across Europe as a whole Zootierliste has 146 collections with European and 98 with American (11 of which have animals from the forest population, 'athabascae'), so it's only a UK thing for bison to be a bit unusual! :)
    • Goretex
      A good photo of them. It shows the group off well.:)
    • shadow
      Bison are one of my favourite animals in the world so I'm really looking forward to seeing them when I visit Knowsley this year. How many are there and are they in with anything else?
    • FBBird
      Bison

In addition to zoos, there are a few private 'commercial' herds of American Bison in the UK, so the species is more abundant/secure than one might think. Same goes for domestic Water Buffalo. Both superb zoo animals in their own right, of course.
    • lechweoryx
      They have a large herd of over 40 bison. They are kept in a reserve with white rhinos, guanaco, ostrich, bactrian camels, eland and Forest Buffalo.
    • Pootle
      Quite correct, also it is worth while checking before you visit whether the bison are actually out with the animals mentioned above, they are often kept in a seperate field whee you view isn't too good. Best bet is to visit summer at a weekend when the grass is growing its quickest.

also in this area in summer look out for Ostrich's sitting on 'nests'. :)
    • shadow
      I'll keep that in mind and make sure I ring them before visiting.

Do the bison get on OK with the other animals?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Knowsley Safari Park
    Uploaded By:
    Ste-W
    Date:
    31 Oct 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    288.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    FE46,X41,X42
    Date / Time:
    2010:08:07 17:56:03
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    6.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).