LaughingDove

Black Coloured Red Squirrel (wild)

Taken 28th October 2015

Black Coloured Red Squirrel (wild)
LaughingDove, 13 Nov 2015
    • LaughingDove
      Taken 28th October 2015
    • LaughingDove
      Is this a subspecies or colour variety that is usual in this area or is this an unusually coloured individual? Any information would be appreciated.
    • Tim May
      I have often seen melanistic red squirrels in southern Germany where they are by no means unusual; I don't recall seeing them in the Czech Republic.
    • lintworm
      Just a colour morph that I have seen a lot in western Czech republic...
    • Jana
      There is a specialized rescue station for young squirels in the Czech republic. They handread each year many squirels and release them in the wild.

Last year, the squirels that people found and brought to them had these colours:
      red - 29
      black - 22
      black with red line around belly - 6
      brown - 3
      mahagon - 6
      brownish red - 11

Animals from one nest have very often different colours.
    • LaughingDove
      Very interesting.
      Thanks! :)
    • Pertinax
      I remember seeing Red, Black and Brown morphs in Nuremberg Zoo many years ago. Interesting that the UK race of Red doesn't seem to carry any of these variations though.
    • TeaLovingDave
      Although it will have only been a regional colour-morph, I have a feeling that I have read about black red squirrels having been known from the southeast of England back when the taxon was still found in the area. The remaining populations in Scotland, northern England and Brownsea certainly don't display this colouration.
    • Tim May
      As mentioned in my earlier post, I have often seen melanistic red squirrels in southern Germany; Nuremberg Zoo is actually the place where I have seen the black morph most frequently. (NB I am referring to wild squirrels living in the zoo grounds not captive squirrels in the zoo.)

Agreed; I have never seen melanistic red squirrels in the UK either. Interestingly, though, the population of melanistic grey squirrels is apparently increasing in Cambrigeshire; and black grey squirrels are often seen in the grounds of Girton College, Cambridge University.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZOO Plzeň
    Uploaded By:
    LaughingDove
    Date:
    13 Nov 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    327.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix HS25EXR
    Date / Time:
    2015:10:28 05:17:36
    Exposure Time:
    1/26 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    50.4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).