Black-Footed Ferret + Prairie Dog Diorama

July 31st, 2011.

Black-Footed Ferret + Prairie Dog Diorama
snowleopard, 16 Nov 2011
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • snowleopard
      July 31st, 2011.
    • DavidBrown
      Was there an actual stuffed BFF in this exhibit? I can't tell from the photo. Presumably they didn't go shoot one as it seems like that would be about illegal as it could possibly be.

I noticed that they also have a kakapo and a kiwi. I wonder how they got these specimens?

Overall do you consider this place to be a legitimate museum of natural history like the Smithsonian or the American Museum of Natural History? Some of it looks that way and some of it looks like a really gaudy display of hunting trophies (i.e, the Mcelroy Hall).
    • snowleopard
      I am almost positive that there is a black-footed ferret in the exhibit, and the museum could have obtained a dead one from a variety of sources (farm, zoo, etc). The kakapo and brown kiwi were delights to see, as was the saiga, black-backed jackal, 120 species of antelope, etc. One bonus of seeing taxidermy at work is that an individual can stand a couple of feet away from dead animals and study their physique instead of viewing them from a considerable distance in a zoo.

Your last question is a tough one, as I have visited the museums of natural history in both New York City and Washington, D.C, and International Wildlife Museum is not in the same league. It seems to have had a controversial past as a storage facility for hunting trophies, and yet there are loads of conservation-themed signs and messages adorning the walls as I suspect that its approach to wildlife has softened over the years. One bonus is that it is only about 15 minutes from ASDM (Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum) and that establishment is most definitely outstanding in every aspect.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    International Wildlife Museum
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    16 Nov 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    219.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-ZS5
    Date / Time:
    2011:07:31 14:08:19
    Exposure Time:
    10/80 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1000
    Focal Length:
    4.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).