Black-shouldered Kite
nanoboy, 4 Aug 2013
    • nanoboy
      Western Treatment Plant, Werribee, Victoria, Australia
      July 27, 2013
    • nanoboy
      And another one.
    • Hix
      Nice shot - it's not often you get that close and at such a low level.
    • zooboy28
      Very cool that you saw so many different raptors, I'm impressed. Will definitely try to get out there in the near future!
    • nanoboy
      Thanks!

Good spot: it was 2 or 3 arms lengths away on a short bush on the side of the road at eye level. It refused to move as we drove past slowly, but instead chose to squeal at us. Very very cool experience, as they are one of my favourite raptors. Got to love those red eyes.
    • nanoboy
      And I only posted my better pics of birds!! There were lots lots more. Get yourself down there ASAP while you have a chance of seeing orange bellied parrots.

Check the pic of the brown falcon on the road and note the quality of the road. That is what it looked like with bright skies and no rain for the preceding 4 days. No way you want to be there when it's muddy.
    • IanRRobinson
      Has this species taken advantage of modern agriculture? Its close cousin, Black-winged Kite, was quite a common sight on telegraph wires in Egypt overlooking cotton and rice fields when I was there in 2000.
    • nanoboy
      I would say yes. I see them very regularly on the side of the freeway or hovering above the strip of grass between freeways, as well as in farmers' fields to the west of Melbourne.
    • vogelcommando
      Beautifull shot of a beautifull bird nanoboy !
    • nanoboy
      Aw, thanks! :) The lighting was horrible - dark and overcast.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Australia - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    nanoboy
    Date:
    4 Aug 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: